Nikon Z 9 Mirrorless Camera Body
Subject detection from deep learning. Automatic. Simultaneous.
A breakthrough algorithm developed using deep learning enables the Z 9 to automatically detect and track the world’s largest range of subjects3—people, dogs, cats, birds, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, trains and planes—in stills and video with no menu changes.
Keeps up with the smallest, fastest subjects.
AF and AE calculations are made at 120 cycles per second with rapid, constant communication between the lens and the camera through the Z mount. Even small, erratic subjects like birds in flight are tracked with ease.
Enhanced Eye AF for people, pets and birds.
Eye Detection AF automatically tracks the eyes of people, dogs, cats and birds (and similar creatures) even when they’re small in the frame, covered by hair, glasses or goggles, right-side up or upside down.
3D Tracking + Subject Detection. A new dimension of AF.
The power of Nikon’s acclaimed 3D Tracking is now available with deep learning subject detection. Effortlessly lock onto fast-moving subjects and track them moving toward you, away from you and everywhere in between.
Focus in the dark. Go down to -8.5 EV.
Subject detection and AF works all the way down to -6.5 EV. Activate Starlight Mode, and focus all the way down to -8.5 EV. And since you’ll be spending more time in the dark, the Z 9’s buttons are illuminated.
A groundbreaking new processing engine.
Expeed 7. The most powerful Nikon processing engine ever. 10x faster than previous generations. Handles complex AF and AE calculations at 120 cycles per second. Separately processes dual-streamed data from the stacked image sensor. Enables next-generation features like 120 fps still shooting, 8K video recording, a blackout-free viewing experience and more.
Go from zero to 120 fps in the press of a shutter.
To capture moments you may never have seen before, the Z 9 captures 45.7-megapixel stills at an action-freezing 30 fps and press-ready 11-megapixel stills at an insanely fast 120 fps—all with full AF and AE performance and no blackout.
Keep your finger down. 1,000-image buffer capacity.
With a seemingly bottomless buffer, the Z 9 shoots continuously for more than 1,000 frames at 20 fps* as full resolution High-Efficiency RAW or JPEG (L) fine files.
The fastest write speeds. Dual CFexpress Type B.
Under a newly designed latching door are two matched slots optimized for high-performance CFexpress Type B cards. The slots are independent from each other, so you can load cards with different write speeds—including XQD cards.
Finally, an electronic shutter you can trust.
The electronic shutter in the Z 9 achieves the world’s most minimal rolling-shutter distortion2, eliminating the need for a mechanical shutter. Shoot at shutter speeds up to 1/32,000 second in complete silence, with no shutter vibration and no concerns about shutter wear.
Silent mode. Become invisible.
When you need to be invisible, Silent Mode turns off menu sounds and VR Lock and minimizes lens drive noises. And since the Z 9 does not have a mechanical shutter, you can shoot without a shutter click—or plug in headphones so only you can hear the simulated shutter sound.
8K/30p. In-camera. No overheating.
With an innovative body design that efficiently dissipates heat, the Z 9 records lush 10-bit 8K UHD video at 24, 25 or 30 fps internally for over 2 hours straight*—with no risk of overheating. Need stills from your shoot? Save 33-megapixel frame grabs right from your footage.
Record dense 10-bit 4K UHD footage in-camera with full pixel readout from the Z 9’s outstanding sensor at 24, 25, 30p as ProRes 422 HQ or H.265 video. Or create dramatic 4K UHD slow motion sequences up to 120p. A 2.3x crop format with full pixel readout is available for getting closer to your subject without changing lenses.
Steady handheld shooting. Enhanced electronic VR.
The intelligence and processing power within Expeed 7 improves electronic VR for video recording, correcting trapezoid distortion from wide angle lenses and allowing you to create smooth handheld walking shots.
Stacked CMOS sensor. 45.7-megapixels. Full frame.
Designed by Nikon specifically to bring ultra-high-resolution image quality to high-speed shooting applications. Achieves the world’s fastest scanning speed 2, 12x faster data readout than the acclaimed Z 7II and absolutely spectacular image quality in stills and 8K videos.
World’s most minimal rolling-shutter distortion2.
The extreme scanning speed of the Z 9 suppresses rolling-shutter distortion. Capture natural-looking images of extremely fast moving subjects like golf and baseball swings, and vehicles.
Sharper handheld shooting. Up to 6.0-stops of compensation.
The Z 9 delivers advanced Vibration Reduction (VR) with Synchro VR* where 5-axisin-body VR and 2-axis lens VR work together, achieving an effect equivalent to a shutter speed up to approx. 6.0 stops** faster.
Wide open in any light. 1/32,000 second shutter speed.
Turn your shutter speed all the way up to 1/32,000 second and shoot wide open in harsh light. Enjoy the beautiful bokeh of Nikkor Z lenses in more situations than ever.
High-Efficiency RAW. 1/3 smaller.
New RAW format retains the same high image quality, dynamic range and flexibility as conventional RAW files with approximately 1/3 smaller file size. Speed up your workflow.
World’s first truly blackout-free viewfinder.
Until now, achieving a blackout-free view meant repeating certain frames within the viewfinder. The Z 9 is the first camera with a viewfinder that reveals every single moment1—including those previously blocked by conventional EVF or DSLR systems. Smoothly follow every movement of your subject, even when capturing at 120 fps.
Dual-Stream Technology. Dedicated feed.
The Z 9 outputs two data streams from the stacked CMOS sensor: one for writing to the memory card and one for viewing. The viewing stream is unaffected by any capture processing, leaving a pristine, lag-free, uninterrupted view with absolutely no blackout.
4-axis horizontal and vertical tilting touchscreen.
It goes up. It goes down. It goes left. It goes right. Shoot from nearly any angle—high, low or sideways—and maintain a clear, bright view of the frame. When you rotate the Z9 for vertical shooting, the user interfaces within the monitor and the Real-Live Viewfinder also rotate to a vertical orientation*.
Magnesium alloy shell with phenomenal heat dissipation and cold tolerance down to -10°C/14°F. Flagship weather-sealing to keep out dust, dirt and moisture.
Faster image uploads. 2.4 and 5GHz Wi-Fi®. 1000BASE-T wired LAN.
Deliver your images to your editor faster than ever with built-in 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi for over-the-air transfers and 1000BASE-T, the fastest wired LAN protocol, for faster wired transfers.
Mobile uploads. NX MobileAir smartphone app.
In venues where Wi-Fi access is spotty or in high-demand, get an edge over the competition by transferring images at high speed with a 4G or 5G smartphone. Automatically transfer shots in real-time, or add IPTC information, voice memos, crop and rotate with the smartphone before sending.
Flick shortcuts for annotations, transfers and more.
By simply flicking upward or downward in fullscreen playback, images can be sent, protected or rated, voice memos can be added and images can be prioritized to skip the queue during large transfers.
Ultimate optics: S-Line lenses.
The most impressive optics ever created by Nikon. Overwhelming sharpness, excellent point-light reproduction, beautiful bokeh and minimum aberration. Optimized for video recording with quiet operation, suppressed focus breathing and a control ring for smooth aperture, exposure or ISO adjustments. The perfect match for the Z 9.
- 45.7MP FX-Format Stacked CMOS Sensor
- EXPEED 7 Image Processor
- 8K30p and 4K120p Video, 10-Bit Internal
- Up to 20 fps Raw, 30 fps JPEG Shooting
- 493-Point Phase-Detection AF System
- AI-Based Subject Detection and Tracking
- Blackout-Free Real Live Viewfinder
- 3.2" 4-Axis Tilting Touchscreen LCD
- Vertical Grip, 2x CFexpress Type B Slots
- 5 GHz Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GNSS
- Imaging Lens Mount:
- Nikon Z
- Imaging Sensor Type:
- 35.9 x 23.9 mm (Full-Frame) CMOS
- Imaging Sensor Resolution:
- Actual: 52.37 Megapixel | Effective: 45.7 Megapixel (8256 x 5504)
- Imaging Crop Factor:
- Imaging Aspect Ratio:
- 1:1, 3:2, 16:9
- Imaging Image File Format:
- JPEG, Raw
- Imaging Bit Depth:
- Imaging Image Stabilization:
- Sensor-Shift, 5-Axis
- EXPOSURE CONTROL
- Exposure Control ISO Sensitivity:
- Auto, 64 to 25600 (Extended: 32 to 102400)
- Exposure Control Shutter Speed:
- Electronic Shutter 1/32000 to 30 Seconds 0 to 900 Seconds in Manual Mode Bulb Mode
- Exposure Control Metering Method:
- Center-Weighted Average, Highlight Weighted, Matrix, Spot
- Exposure Control Exposure Modes:
- Aperture Priority, Manual, Program, Shutter Priority
- Exposure Control Exposure Compensation:
- -5 to +5 EV (1/3, 1/2 EV Steps)
- Exposure Control Metering Range:
- -3 to 17 EV
- Exposure Control White Balance:
- Auto, Cloudy, Color Temperature, Direct Sunlight, Flash, | Fluorescent, Incandescent, Preset Manual, Shade
- Exposure Control Continuous Shooting:
- Electronic Shutter
- Up to 20 fps at 45.7 MP for up to 1000 Frames (Raw)
- Up to 30 fps at 45.7 MP
- Up to 120 fps at 11 MP
- Exposure Control Interval Recording:
- Video External Recording Modes:
- UHD 8K (7680 x 4320) up to 29.97p | UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) up to 120p
- Video Recording Limit:
- Up to 125 Minutes for UHD 8K (7680 x 4320) at 29.97p(4:2:2 10-Bit)
- Video Video Encoding:
- Video Audio Recording:
- Built-In Microphone (Stereo) | External Microphone Input (Stereo)
- Video Audio File Format:
- AAC, Linear PCM
- Focus Focus Type:
- Auto and Manual Focus
- Focus Focus Mode:
- Continuous-Servo AF (C), Manual Focus (M), Single-Servo AF (S)
- Focus Autofocus Points:
- Phase Detection: 493
- Focus Autofocus Sensitivity:
- -8.5 to +20 EV
- Viewfinder Viewfinder Type:
- Electronic (OLED)
- Viewfinder Viewfinder Size:
- Viewfinder Viewfinder Resolution:
- 3,690,000 Dot
- Viewfinder Viewfinder Eye Point:
- 21 mm
- Viewfinder Viewfinder Coverage:
- Viewfinder Viewfinder Magnification:
- Approx. 0.8x
- Viewfinder Diopter Adjustment:
- -4 to +3
- Monitor Size:
- Monitor Resolution:
- 2,100,000 Dot
- Monitor Display Type:
- 4-Axis Tilting Touchscreen LCD
- Flash Built-In Flash:
- Flash Flash Modes:
- First-Curtain Sync, Off, Rear Sync, Red-Eye Reduction, Slow Sync, | Slow Sync/Red-Eye Reduction
- Flash Maximum Sync Speed:
- 1/200 Second
- Flash Flash Compensation:
- -3 to +1 EV (1/3, 1/2 EV Steps)
- Flash Dedicated Flash System:
- Flash External Flash Connection:
- Hot Shoe, PC Terminal
- Interface Media/Memory Card Slot:
- Dual Slot: CFexpress Type B / XQD
- Interface Connectivity:
- USB Type-C (USB 3.2 Gen 2), HDMI A (Full Size), RJ45, 3.5mm | Headphone, 3.5mm Microphone, Nikon 10-Pin, PC Sync Socket
- Interface Wireless:
- Bluetooth | Wi-Fi
- Interface GPS:
- Environmental Operating Temperature:
- 14 to 104°F / -10 to 40°C
- Environmental Operating Humidity:
- 0 to 85%
- 1 x EN-EL18d Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 10.8 VDC, 3300 mAh | (Approx. 700 Shots)
In The Box
6 and 12 Month Special Financing* Available
On purchases of $299 or more. Online through Klarna, available at checkout.