Perfect Color for Digital Photography
with Tim Babiak
As photographers moved from film to digital, getting accurate color in finished images has become a task that confounds many photographers. There are so many factors that come into play – miss the mark on any of them and your images may look odd.
In this class, we will cover everything that comes into play that affects the final color of your digital images. You’ll learn which of these elements can be controlled and which cannot as well as how to correct imperfect color.
• How to improve color while shooting including camera settings that affect color
• Essential and optional tools for managing color
• Computer hardware considerations for color
• Understanding light color in various shooting scenarios including available light, flash and continuous light
• Monitor calibration
• Post production workflow including standard and custom camera profiles
• Understanding color spaces at various points during the post production workflow in Lightroom and Photoshop
• Understanding working color space vs. output color space
• Understanding white balance for global color
• Local color adjustment techniques
• Using soft proofing (Lightroom and Photoshop) to match screen to print
• Output settings for digital and print
• Display options for digital files including understanding color managed browsers
• Display options for prints including print placement and lighting
We'll cover all of these topics in-depth so you'll walk away with a clearer understanding of how to manage color from shutter release to final image creation.
This class is targeted for students who have a basic understanding of digital photography and are looking to increase their proficiency in color management.
This class seeks to arm students with the knowledge necessary to actively manage color with their digital photography. Students will leave the session with a better understanding of how to approach color in every step of their photographic process.
Schedule and Format
This three-hour class consists of lecture and demonstration. While not necessary, students may bring a laptop to try some of the techniques. Class notes will be provided.
About the Instructor
Tim Babiak is a full-time photographer and a long-time instructor at PCU. Tim is a PPA Master Photographer, Photographic Craftsman and Certified Professional Photographer. Tim has served for many years on the Board of Directors of the Austin Professional Photographers Association and is a two-time recipient of the Photographer of the Year award from the Austin Professional Photographers Association. Tim is also a two-time Bronze Medalist in PPA’s International Print Competition.
Please review our class cancellation policy below.
Tier 1: Standard Classes
You can cancel a class registration up to two business days before the class begins and receive a full refund for standard classes. If you register for a tier 1 class and do not show up, your payment will be forfeited. You may reschedule a class only if notice is given before the start time of the class. Unless otherwise stated, class refunds are only issued to customers that provide notice to the store that they would like a refund no later than two business days prior to the class. Refunds will not be issued to customers who sign up for a class but fail to attend.
Each class needs a minimum number of students to enroll before the class can “make.” If the minimum enrollment has not been met two business days before the class begins, the class will be cancelled. All students who enrolled in the class will be notified by telephone or email, and may transfer to a different class or be issued a refund (see refund procedure). We encourage all students to enroll as soon as registration begins. Please check your phone and email messages, including your SPAM.
How to Reschedule or Cancel a Class
Please contact the store at 512-467-7676 or email email@example.com to cancel a class. Class cancellations or requests to be rescheduled that are sent through other channels, such as Facebook or Meetup.com messages, will not be honored.
6 and 12 Month Special Financing* Available
On purchases of $299 or more. Online through Klarna, available at checkout.
Find Out More