Developing Film in the Darkroom
This class is designed to give a hands-on introduction to working with film photography and the process of developing black and white 35mm film. A portion of the class will also be devoted to exploring the medium of film and how it is different from digital photography. While this class is geared towards 35mm format, students can also work with and develop 120 mm, or medium format, film stocks.
- Exploring the different types of film available and how each film has a certain look and nuance that can suit a photographer's style and shooting conditions
- Discussion of why a photographer would choose to work with film
- Film is a mixture of art and science. This class will also review the various types of chemistry available to develop film and the various types of papers used in printing the negatives
- Each student will expose and develop a roll of 36 exposure Black-and-White film in the darkroom and print a contact sheet from the developed negatives.
- If time permits, we will also make a few enlargement prints from individual negatives
This class is for students using various types of film cameras. This is a great class for amateurs who have an interest in the film medium and professionals who want to offer a unique service to their clients. A basic understanding of the fundamentals of photography, including aperture settings, ISO, and shutter speed is helpful; however, not necessary.
Schedule and Format
• Film Camera
• Any accessories you have questions on
• Note-taking supplies
About the Instructor
Please review our class cancellation policy below.
You can cancel a class registration up to two business days before the class begins and receive a full refund except for with some special classes and events such as the Mock Wedding and excursions. See below for more information.
If you register for a class that we hold on a regular basis, and do not show up for the class, you will be rescheduled one time. Once rescheduled, if you do not show up for a class, your payment will be forfeited.
Each class needs a minimum number of students to enroll before the class can “make.” If the minimum enrollment has not been met two business days before the class begins, the class will be cancelled. All students who enrolled in the class will be notified by telephone or email, and may transfer to a different class or be issued a refund (see refund procedure). We encourage all students to enroll as soon as registration begins. Please check your phone and email messages, including your SPAM.
Unless otherwise stated, class refunds are only issued to customers that provide notice to the store that they would like a refund no later than two business days prior to the class. Refunds will not be issued to customers who sign up for a class but fail to attend.
How to Reschedule or Cancel a Class
Please contact the store at 512-467-7676 or email email@example.com to cancel a class. Class cancellations or requests to be rescheduled that are sent through other channels, such as Facebook or Meetup.com messages, will not be honored. Please note that class refunds are only issued during business hours, Monday through Friday.
6 and 12 Month Special Financing* Available
On purchases of $299 or more. Online through Klarna, available at checkout.
Find Out More