Canon EOS R8 Mirrorless Camera Body
The EOS R8 camera combines high-performance full-frame capabilities with a lightweight and compact design for creators ready to step up their content creation. With a 24.2 megapixel full-frame CMOS image sensor, RF mount allowing access to various creative lenses, and powerful stills and video functionality, the EOS R8 camera helps you capture stunning imagery to empower your creative vision.
The Lightest Full-Frame Canon EOS Camera1
Weighing less than a pound (body only), the EOS R8 camera is incredibly lightweight and compact while offering a high-quality full-frame imaging experience, utilizing the RF lens mount and providing access to a catalog of high-performance creative lens options. This offers photographers and content creators a convenient and portable camera in a comfortable, ergonomic package for travel, hiking or everyday shooting.
High Image Quality Featuring a 24.2 Megapixel Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
The EOS R8 camera captures stunning, detailed images with speed and accuracy, even in low light, due to the Canon-developed 24.2-million-pixel CMOS image sensor and DIGIC X Image Processor. The full-frame sensor allows for improved resolution at low ISO speeds and low noise at high ISO speeds, wide dynamic range of still pictures, and significant improvement in rolling shutter compared to previous Canon cameras when shooting fast-moving subjects and quick panning.
With its built-in image processing, the EOS R8 camera provides in-camera compositing including Moving Subject HDR, Depth Compositing, Panoramic Shot, HDR Night Scene, and HDR Backlight control so you can capture creative imagery that is challenging with conventional single-shot techniques.
High-Speed, High-Precision Autofocus
Dual Pixel CMOS AF II is a highly responsive system that covers up to approximately 100% x 100% of the picture area, breaking the image into up to 1,053 automatically-selected AF zones during Whole Area AF. This enables outstanding AF coverage on the EOS R8 camera, and the compositional freedom to focus sharply on a subject nearly anywhere in the frame.
Accurate Subject Detection and Tracking
Developed using Deep Learning Technology, horses, trains, and airplanes are detectable, in addition to conventional subjects like people, animals including dogs, cats and birds, and vehicles — cars and motorcycles — especially in a motorsports environment2,3. For more ease of use, Auto mode is now available, in which the camera automatically selects the type of subject without the need to switch the Subject Detection setting in the menu. The EOS R8 camera will continue to track the movement and continuously focus on the subject.
Head, Face, and Eye Detection
The EOS R8 camera can locate and focus upon a person’s head, face, or eye when the Subject Detection menu is set to People. This allows for more ease of use, fast acquisition of your subject, and improvements to accuracy when capturing videos or still images, even in difficult shooting situations where many cameras may struggle to detect a subject. Additional control is now available for detecting the subject’s left or right eye – which can be also programmed to a Custom Button making it easy to focus on the preferred eye in the moment.
Effectively track the whole body, face, or eye of cats, dogs, birds, and now horses, for speed and precision — regardless of the animal’s size, posture, or orientation of the face2.
Ample Features for Video Creators
With video recording features such as 6K oversampled uncropped 4K movie at up to 60 fps, Full-HD High-frame rate movie recording at up to 180 fps4, and Dual Pixel CMOS AF tracking, the EOS R8 camera makes it easy to step up your video content.
Continuous Movie Recording That Exceeds 30 Minutes
The EOS R8 camera can continuously record 4K UHD or Full HD video for up to 2 hours at 29.97 fps, allowing you to set up your video and keep your project rolling without worrying about it stopping.
HDR PQ / Canon Log 3
Though the EOS R8 camera can record impressive video straight out of camera, content creators looking to take the next step in their imaging journey have the choice of two powerful video recording options in HDR PQ or Canon Log 3 video recording. With HDR PQ recording a 10bit color file is recorded that does not require additional editing, this 10bit HDR file is compatible with HDR displays such as TVs, monitors and smartphones which display your video with even more color accuracy and dynamic range than standard displays. For creators who like to edit their video files, Canon Log 3 is available, creating a 10bit log file which allows for powerful recovery of highlights and shadows as well as creative color grading capability.
Vertical Movie Mode and Aspect Markers
Movie rotation information can be set during or after movie recording, allowing videos to be played in vertical composition when viewing on a smartphone. The Aspect Markers Function displays visual markers for different aspect ratios that may be desired for posting the same file to various social media sites. This display provides consideration for proper composition for the different deliverable files that can be created when editing.
Movie Digital IS
Record stable videos efficiently with minimum equipment, even when shooting handheld, with Movie Digital IS 5-axis image stabilization6. Camera-shake vibrations are reduced even more through coordinated control of Movie Digital IS when using a RF lens featuring optical image stabilization.
UVC/UAC compatibility allows the EOS R8 camera to be used as a web camera to stream live video in Full HD, without additional computer software, to applications such as Zoom™, Microsoft Teams™, Skype™, and similar video conferencing software7. Thanks to the full-frame image sensor, you’ll be able to have versatility in your exposure, as well as strong background separation when using bright aperture lenses for video conferencing, or livestreaming content.
Vari-Angle Touchscreen LCD
Featuring a 3.0-inch, 1.62 million dot Clear View LCD II Vari-angle Touchscreen LCD, the EOS R8 camera makes it easy to compose and shoot from virtually any angle. With touch and drag functionality, you can intuitively and swiftly move the autofocus point on the touch-panel LCD.
Precise Electronic Viewfinder
The EOS R8 camera is equipped with a high-precision 0.39-inch OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diode) EVF with approx. 2.36 million dots and a 22mm eyepoint which displays a bright image and extensive shooting information. The EVF supports up to a 120 fps refresh rate and has been designed to provide a bright, sharp and colorful 100% view of the subject at hand. There’s also an Optical Viewfinder (OVF) Simulation setting, which provides a higher dynamic range viewfinder image for outstanding viewing in harsh, contrasty lighting situations.
Shoot, download and share with Wired and Wireless Communications
The EOS R8 camera supports both wired and wireless connections to your smartphone via its USB Type-C7 port, built-in Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth® technology, making it easy to upload and share movies and photos to your favorite social network services.
Built-in Bluetooth® Capability
Bluetooth® pairing helps you connect the camera to compatible smart devices using the free Canon Camera Connect app. This low-energy wireless connection helps preserve battery life, while providing remote control of the camera. It also sends continuously updated GPS location data from your phone, letting you geotag what you've captured so you know precisely where you captured the photo.
Built-in Wi-Fi Capability
Enable wireless functions, such as remote live view, file viewing and transfer, by connecting to Wi-Fi quickly and seamlessly. Using the Canon Camera Connect app, you can also transfer files to your mobile device to browse and share on social media.
The EOS R8 camera can be connected to a computer or smartphone via USB-C7. All Canon Camera Connect app features that can be used with Wi-Fi are now available when the camera and smartphone are connected via USB, using a compatible cable for your device.
- Digital interchangeable lens, mirrorless camera
- Image Processor
- DIGIC X
- Recording Media
- (One) SD card slot
- Compatible Lenses
- Canon RF lens group (including RF-S lenses)
- Lens Mount
- Canon RF mount
- Image Sensor
- Full-frame CMOS sensor (compatible with Dual Pixel CMOS AF)
- Effective Pixels
- Approx. 24.2 megapixels
- Screen Size
- Approx. 36.0 x 24.0 mm
- Aspect Ratio
- 3:2 (Horizontal: Vertical)
- Color Filter System
- RGB primary color filters
- Low Pass Filter
- Installed in front of the image sensor, non-detachable
- Recording System
- Image Format
- JPEG (.JPG), HEIF (.HIF), RAW, C-RAW, Dual Pixel RAW, RAW burst (.CR3) Movies: ALL-I (Time-lapse video only), IPB (.MP4
- RAW + JPEG / HEIF Simultaneous Recording
- Simultaneous recording of any combination of RAW/C-RAW and JPEG/HEIF image-recording quality is supported.
- Color Space
- Selectable between sRGB and Adobe RGB
- White Balance
- Auto White Balance
- Option between ambience priority and white priority settings, using SET button
- White Balance Shift
- Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels
- Shifted from the color temperatue of the current WB mode.
- Blue/amber and magenta/green shift can be set at the same time.
- WB Bracketing available, up to ±3 levels Blue/am<
- OLED color electronic viewfinder; 0.39-inch, approx. 2.36 million dots
- Approx. 100% (at JPEG Large image quality, 3:2 aspect ratio, approx. 22 mm eyepoint)
- Dioptric Adjustment Range
- Approx. –4.0 to +1.0 m-1 (dpt)
- Focus Method
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- Electronically controlled focal-plane shutter
- Electronic first curtain
- Electronic shutter
- Shutter Release
- Soft-touch electromagnetic release
- Self Timer
- 10-sec. delay, 2-sec. delay, Continuous
- Image Stabilization (IS mode)
- Image Stabilization
- On / Off
- On IS lenses without an Image Stabilizer switch, lens IS is activated and deactivated in conjunction with the camera’s IS mode setting.
- External Speedlite
- Accessory Shoe
- Canon Multi-function accessory shoe
- E-TTL balance
- Ambience priority, standard, flash priority
- Flash Exposure Compensation
- ±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
- Continuous flash control
- E-TTL each shot / E-TTL 1st shot
- Video Shooting
- Shooting Times
- 4K UHD 59.94 fps 30 min.
- 4K UHD 29.97 fps 2 hr. 00 min.
- Full HD 29.97 fps 2 hr. 00 min.
- Full HD 179.82 / 150.00 fps 20 min.
- Full HD 119.88 / 100.00 fps 30 min.
- Video AF
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF; Movie Servo AF available in AF Menu
- Exposure Compensation
- ±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
- Time Code
- Yes (Count up, Start time setting, Movie recording count, Movie play count, HDMI time code on/off, HDMI rec. command on/off, Drop frame enable/disable)
- Time-lapse Movie Setting
- erval 2 sec – 99:59:59; Number of frames 2–3,600; Movie recording size 4K/Full HD; Auto exposure fixed @ first frame/auto for each frame; Beep per frame recorded (volume setting 0/silent – 5)
- Time-lapse Playback Frame Rate
- 29.97 (set to NTSC); 25.00fps (set to PAL)
- LCD Screen
- TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor
- Monitor Size
- 3.0-inch (screen aspect ratio of 3:2)
- 2.95 in./7.5cm diagonal (2.44 in./6.2cm width, 1.65 in./4.2cm height
- Approx. 1.62 million dots
- Approx. 100% vertically/horizontally
- Brightness Control
- Manually adjustable to one of seven brightness levels
- Touch-screen Operation
- Supported for AF Point selection; Touch AF; Touch Shutter; Menu selection; Quick Control Menu; Magnified View; Volume Touch Sounds: 0 (silent) to 5
- Anti-smudge coating not provided.
- Anti-reflection coating not provided.
- Interface Languages
- 29 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Ukraine, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Vietnamese, Hindi, Romanian, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Ma
- Brightness / RGB
- Connection Method
- Camera access point mode
- Infrastructure mode
- Communication with a Smartphone
- Images can be viewed, controlled, and received using a smartphone.
- Remote control of the camera using a smartphone is possible depending on the Camera Connect
- Images can be sent to a smartphone.
- Remote Operation Using EOS Utility
- The camera can be controlled via Wi-Fi® or USB, with Canon EOS Utility software installed in a compatible Mac or Windows computer
- Print from Wi-Fi® Printers
- Not supported.
- Clean HDMI Output
- Microphone terminal
- 3.5mm diameter stereo mini jack
- Headphone terminal
- Compatible with 3.5mm diameter stereo mini-plug
- Power Source
- Canon LP-E17 battery pack
- Start-up Time
- Approx. 0.4 sec.
- Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- Approx. 5.22 x 3.39 x 2.76 in. / 132.5 x 86.1 x 70.0mm
- Based on CIPA standards.
- Approx. 1.01 lbs. / 461g (including battery, SD memory card; without body cap)
- Approx. 0.91 lbs. / 414g (body only; without battery, card or body cap)