Canon RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM
The Canon RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM, brings zooming capabilities to the proven 300mm f/2.8 concept. This lens is aimed directly at professional and very high-end video and still-image users that want gorgeous background bokeh that makes imagery “pop”, such as theater work, event candid’s at a distance, indoor sports like swimming, gymnastics, and basketball.
High-performance constant f/2.8 Maximum Aperture
It is no easy feat, but this lens offers an incredible f/2.8 maximum aperture throughout the entire zoom range, giving you all the benefits that incorporates from great low-light performance to incredible bokeh and fast shutter speeds.
Excellent image quality – Lenses and coatings.
The Canon RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM offers excellent optical quality, edge-to-edge. Its optical design includes one flourite lens, 4 UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass elements, flourine coating, and Canon SSC (Super Spectra Coating) to minimize ghosting and flare.
Optical image stabilization — up to 5.5 stops* of shake correction
For consistently sharp results, the RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM features built-in optical Image Stabilization, providing enhanced shake reduction for up to 5.5 stops* of shake correction. When paired with an EOS R-series camera that has In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS), the Coordinated IS allows for up to 6 stops of correction. This means more reliable handheld performance and clearer detail in low-light situations, without having to increase the ISO or decrease the shutter speed.
Dual USM Focusing system
The Canon RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM offers incredible focus speed and accuracy throughout the entire focus range thanks to dual Nano USMs that are independently actuated (especially useful when tracking moving subjects). This design even helps makes the weight of the lens more balanced reducing fatigue when held by hand.
Control Ring for Direct Setting Changes
The RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM lens incorporates a Control ring on the lens barrel that can directly adjust numerous settings including shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation and more. Located towards the front of the lens and effectively adding a third dial to the EOS R camera's main dial and quick control dial.
Just add lightness
Coming in at just under 6 lbs (5.8lbs), the RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM lens is the lightest f/2.8 300mm zoom lens on the market. Certainly light enough to hand-hold for short periods of time.
Focus Preset button
The lens features a focus preset button near the back of the lens for easy reach with a finger on your right hand during use. This allows you to pre-focus on the spot that you expect action, and immediately jump to the memorized position via the focus preset button. Full AF or manual focus operation remains available, as well. There is a sliding switch on the barrel that allows you to program the AF preset, recall it, or you can slide the switch to “L-Fn” to utilize that button as a programmable function button instead.
The front of the lens features function preset buttons so you can program a specific function to occur at the press of one of the buttons (there are four buttons surrounding the lens so there is always one within reach, they all perform the same preset function).
9 blade circular aperture for beautiful bokeh.
Thanks to its 9-blade, circular aperture, the RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM is capable of gorgeous, evocative out-of-focus areas and soft backgrounds. With rounded rendering of background blur, the 9-blade circular aperture helps create intimacy and intensity in both photos and videos for impactful results.
Compatible with Extenders
To help get you even closer to the subject, attach the compatible Extender RF 1.4x or Extender RF2x to the RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM. Expand effective telephoto power to 140-420mm at f/4 with the Extender RF 1.4x, or to effective 200-600mm at f/5.6 using the Extender RF2x. The extenders allow even more telephoto reach when it’s needed, yet allow the user to convert back to an f/2.8 lens for low-light situations by simply removing the extender.
Dust and Weather-resistant Design, with Fluorine Coating on Front Element for Easy Cleaning
Built to L series lens specifications, the RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM features a highly durable design for excellent performance even in inclement weather conditions. It delivers a dust and water-resistant construction with seals around the mount, switches, rings and more. To help maintain a clean lens in sub-optimal conditions, the RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM has a specially designed fluorine coating on its front surface. The coating helps to prevent water, oil and other surface residue like fingerprints from sticking to the lens, which facilitates quick and easy wiping, without the use of solvents.
- Telephoto zoom lens that builds on the legacy of the popular EF300mm f/2.8 lens.
- Fast f/2.8 maximum aperture throughout the whole zoom range for great control over depth of field, bokeh, and low-light shooting with fast and reliable autofocus.
- Excellent image quality: highlights include one flourite lens, and 4 UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass elements, flourine coating, and Canon SSC (Super Spectra Coating) to minimize ghosting and flare.
- Built-in function/focus preset selector switch allows you to program a focus preset recall into the buttons at the front of the lens.
- Optical image stabilization — up to 5.5 stops* of shake correction. Up to 6.0 stops Coordinated IS when paired with EOS R series cameras featuring In-Body Image Stabilizer (IBIS).
- 2 Nano USMs achieves outstanding image quality throughout the focusing range, from infinity to close-up thanks to 2 focusing groups that are independently actuated.
- Dedicated, programmable Control Ring, with click-stop operation.
- Impressively light at only 5.8 lbs., which makes it the lightest f/2.8 zoom lens with a 300mm focal length on the market.
- Circular (9 blades) aperture for beautiful, soft backgrounds.
- Focal Length
- Maximum and Minimum Aperture
- f/2.8 – f/22
- Lens Mount Type
- RF Mount
- Compatible Cameras
- Canon EOS R-series, APS-C and full-frame
- Minimum Focusing Distance
- 1.8m (5.9 ft.) at all focal lengths
- Maximum Magnification
- 0.06x (at 100mm); 0.16x (at 300mm)
- Field of View, at Minimum Focus Distance
- Approx. 566mm × 376mm (22.3 in. x 14.8 in.) at 100mm
- Approx. 222mm × 149mm (8.7 in. x 5.9 in.) at 300mm
- Optical Design
- Lens Construction
- 23 elements in 18 groups
- Special Elements
- (One) Flourite element, (Four) UD elements, (One) Aspherical element
- Lens Coating
- Canon SSC (Super Spectra Coating), Flourine coating, ASC
- Filter Size Diameter
- ø112 mm (accepts screw-in filters); no rear drop-in filters
- Aperture Blades
- Image Stabilization
- 5.5 stops correction with in-lens Optical Image Stabilization (6 stops Coordinated IS with EOS EOS R5 and similar IBIS-equipped models)
- Focusing Drive System
- (two) Nano USM focus motors
- Full-time Manual Focusing
- Yes (Supports both ONE SHOT AF and SERVO AF with compatible EOS R-series cameras)
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF Coverage (Horizontal x Vertical)
- EOS R — Approx. 88% x 100%
- EOS R5/R6 — Approx. 90% x 100%
- EOS R3/R7/R10 — Approx. 100% x 100%
- Exterior Design
- Control Ring
- Provided, with click-stops
- Manual Focus Ring
- Electronic ring system
- Full-time Manual focus possible
- No physical limit to ring rotational angle
- No Manual focus speed adjustment possible
- AF/MF Switch
- MF/Control Ring Switch
- None — separate MF and Control Rings on lens
- Distance Scale
- None • Distance scale available in EVF or Live View LCD screen of compatible EOS R-series cameras
- Distance Limiter Switch
- Provided: Full/6m (19.7 ft.) to infinity
- Dust / Weather Resistant Construction
- Dimensions, Weight
- Maximum Outer Diameter x Length
- Approx. ø5.1 in. x 12.7 in. (ø128mm x 323.4mm)
- Approx. 93.5 oz. / 5.8 lb. / 2650g
- Lens hood
- Canon ET-124 (Bundled) • Cylindrical (screw-in hood knob) (attachable in reverse
- Lens Cap
- (Front) Canon E-112 (center pinch-type; Bundled)
- Dust Cap
- Canon Lens Dust Cap RF (Bundled)
- Lens Case
- Canon Lens Soft Case LS100–300 (Bundled; no optional hard case avail.)
- Extension Tubes
- None (No Canon RF mount extension tubes)
- Close-up Lenses 250D / 500D
- None (No ø112mm size available)
- Canon RF Extender 1.4x/2x