a7C II, the Hybrid Enhanced
Building off the sleek profile and full-frame sensor combination of its first-generation predecessor, the black Sony a7C II offers improved resolution, autofocus, in-body image stabilization, and video capabilities in the same compact, all-day, everyday form factor.
33.0MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor and BIONZ XR Processor
The Sony a7C II's advanced imaging system is powered by a 33MP full-frame Exmor R CMOS sensor and the BIONZ XR processor, a combination capable of 10-bit 4K imagery at up to 30 fps or a top continuous shooting rate of 10 fps with AF and AE using either the mechanical or electronic shutter. The introduction of the back-illuminated structure to the camera's sensor gives it a higher resolution without sacrificing sensitivity. With an ISO range of 100-51200 that's expandable to ISO 50-204800, the camera boasts low-light performance with minimal noise and wide dynamic range.
Along with its powerful sensor and processor, the Sony a7C brings a strong suite of video features to everyday content creators and videographers.
- Record in 10-bit 4:2:2 using the advanced XAVC S-I format for consistent performance and quality at bitrates up to 600 Mb/s.
- Full-frame 4K recording is possible with frame rates up to 30p, up to 60p in 4K with a Super35 crop, and full HD recording up to 120p, using full 1:1 pixel readout without binning.
- The high-speed, 120 fps recording also enables 4x and 5x slow-motion movie recording with the frame rate set to either 30p or 24p.
- Slow & Quick (S&Q) mode allows shooters to capture 4K video at specified steps between 1-60 fps and Full HD between 1-120 fps, depending on the format. These settings will allow you to slow down action as well as speed up a slow-moving scene.
- The S-Log3 and S-Gamut3. Cine gamma curves allow for more than 15 stops of dynamic range and for increased post-production flexibility, including matching video from other Sony Cinema Line cameras.
- S-Cinetone can be used to deliver distinct colors and healthy-looking skin tone rendering that is based on technology from the professional Cinema Line cameras, such as the VENICE. This color profile offers natural mid-tones, soft colors, and especially well-controlled highlights.
- Creative Looks can be baked into the recorded footage to create a specific mood during recording and minimize the need for editing.
- User-created LUTs and presets can be set for accurately monitoring footage or previewing a specific look during shooting and can be applied to the camera's monitor, EVF, or HDMI output.
AI-Powered Autofocus and Image Stabilization
The Sony a7C II's AI processing unit brings a host of enhanced capabilities to the camera's autofocus and image stabilization systems, ensuring smooth handling and clarity no matter the shooting conditions. The camera's 759 phase detection points in stills mode and 495 points in video mode, covering 94% of the image area, are enhanced with AI-powered subject recognition performance and real-time tracking. The AI processor also uses a new autoexposure algorithm, Human Pose Estimation, to prioritize exposure areas for a 20% improvement in overall exposure accuracy. The auto white balance also benefits from the improved AI processor, aiding in difficult lighting conditions. Other autofocus features include focus bracketing in up to 299 images with sequentially shifted focus points, focus accuracy in low light down to EV -4.0, focus breathing compensation, autofocus assist, focus mapping, and focus peaking during autofocus.
Vlog-Friendly AI-Enhanced Framing
Additionally, the AI Processing Unit recognizes and tracks subjects when recording video, seamlessly auto-cropping to maintain the subject in a prominent position in the frame and lending ease to otherwise difficult camerawork. This tracking can be custom located within the frame and adjusted for speed and sensitivity, all at the touch of a finger.
Now offering seven stops of shake compensation, the camera's pixel-level 5-axis optical image stabilization system, which counters five different types of camera shake encountered during handheld shooting of stills and video, is algorithmically optimized for precision detection and control down to a single pixel. The AI Processing Unit also improves communication between the body and the lens, providing more stable framing before shooting. This allows users to confidently use any lens, even adapted lenses, for critical imaging without encountering blur from camera shake.
For stills-shooters, the a7C II offers a wide range of color renderings and compressions for optimal image quality and storage management, led by the introduction of the High Efficiency Image File (HEIF) format. Users also have the choice between Compressed and Lossless Compressed options when shooting raw. The AI Processing Unit also helps to achieve better exposure results in Auto mode with applicable algorithmic adjustments made for skin tone, backlit situations, and white balance. The same Creative Looks presets available in video are also available when shooting stills, allowing additionally for user-defined configurations with eight adjustable parameters. For optimal viewing of stills when tethered to select monitors and televisions, the a7C II now offers a stills-designed Hybrid Log-Gamma mode that delivers accurate dynamic range in 10-bit HEIF format.
Body Design and Connectivity
- The introduction of a front command dial puts an added level of control and speed at the tip of your forefinger and ensures that you won't be all thumbs at the moment of peak action.
- Use the camera's USB output function with UVC/UAC control via a computer for streaming applications and broadcasts with full-frame 4K video at 30 fps.
- Built-in 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi allows communication on the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites.
- Integrated 3.5mm headphone and microphone ports afford greater control over audio during video recording.
- The 2.36m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder offers a bright, high-resolution, .70x magnification means for eye-level monitoring and sports and a dedicated 120 fps mode for smoother viewing when tracking moving subjects.
- The side-opening, vari-angle 3.0" 1.03m-dot LCD touchscreen works from high, low, and front-facing angles.
- Accepts the high-capacity Z battery rechargeable lithium-ion battery and can also be powered via a USB connection to a computer or mobile battery. This connection can also be used to charge the battery.
- Robust magnesium alloy body offers a durable profile and incorporates dust and moisture seals to protect against harsh environments.
- Lens Mount
- Sony E
- Sensor Resolution
- Effective: 33 Megapixel
- Image Sensor
- Full-Frame CMOS
- Image Stabilization
- Sensor-Shift, 5-Axis
- Built-In ND Filter
- Capture Type
- Stills & Video
- EXPOSURE CONTROL
- Shutter Type
- Electronic Shutter, Mechanical Focal Plane Shutter
- Shutter Speed
Mechanical Shutter - 1/4000 to 30 seconds
Electronic Shutter - 1/8000 to 30 Seconds
1/8000 to 1 Second in Movie Mode
- Bulb/Time Mode
- Bulb Mode
- ISO Sensitivity
100 to 51,200 (Extended: 50 to 204,800)
100 to 12,800 in Auto Mode
100 to 51,200 in Manual Mode (Extended: 50 to 102,400)
100 to 12,800 in Auto Mode
- Exposure Modes
- Aperture Priority, Auto, Manual, Program, Shutter Priority
- Metering Range
- -3 to 20 EV
- White Balance
2500 to 9900K
Presets:AWB, Cloudy, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent, Manual, Overcast, Shade, Tungsten
- Continuous Shooting
- Electronic Shutter - Up to 10 fps, Mechanical Shutter - Up to 10 fps
- STILL IMAGE CAPTURE
- Image File Format
- HEIF, JPEG, Raw
- VIDEO CAPTURE
- Interal Recording Modes
- XAVC HS 4:2:2/4:2:0 10-Bit
- 3840 x 2160 at 23.98/50/59.94 fps [30 to 200 Mb/s]
- XAVC S 4:2:2/4:2:0 8/10-Bit
- 3840 x 2160 at 23.98/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps [60 to 200 Mb/s]
1920 x 1080 at 23.98/25/29.97/50/59.94/100/120 fps [16 to 100 Mb/s]
- XAVC S-I 4:2:2 10-Bit
- 3840 x 2160 at 23.98/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps [240 to 600 Mb/s]
1920 x 1080 at 23.98/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps [89 to 222 Mb/s]
- External Recording Modes
- 4:2:2 8/10-Bit via HDMI
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.98/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps
HD (1920 x 1080p) at 23.98/50/59.94 fps
HD (1920 x 1080i) at 50/59.94 fps
- Recording Sensor Crop
- Crops by 1.2x in All Recording Modes
- Fast-/Slow-Motion Support
- Gamma Curve
- S Cinetone, Sony S-Log 3
- Recording Limit
- Up to 120 Minutes in 4K
- Broadcast Output
- IP Streaming
- MJPEG, UVC/UAC
- 3840 x 2160 at 12.5p, 14.99p, 25p, 30p
1920 x 1080 at 25p, 30p, 50p, 60p
1280 x 720 at 25p, 30p
- Built-In Microphone Type
- Audio Recording
- 2-Channel 16-Bit 48 kHz LPCM Audio
- Media/Mememory Card Slot
- Single Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-II)
- Media/Memory Card Slot
- Single Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-II)
- Video I/O
- 1 x Micro-HDMI (Unspecified Signal) Output
- Audio I/O
- 1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm TRS Stereo Microphone Input on Camera Body
1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm TRS Stereo Headphone Output on Camera Body
- Power I/O
- 1 x USB-C Input/Output
- Other I/O
- 1 x USB-C Data Input/Output (Shared with Power Input)
- 2.4 / 5 GHz Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac), Bluetooth 4.2 Video Output, Control
- Mobile App Compatible
- Yes: Android & iOS
App Name: Creators' App
Functionality: Access Stored Files, Adjust Settings, Remote Control
*As of August, 2023: Check with manufacturer for the most up-to-date compatibility
- Global Positioning (GPS, GLONASS, etc.)
*Via Connected Smartphone
- Display Size
- 1,036,800 Dot
- Display Type
- Tilting Touchscreen LCD
- Built-In Electronic (OLED)
- 2,360,000 Dot
- Eye Point
- 22 mm
- Approx. 0.7x
- Diopter Adjustment
- -4 to +3
- Focus Type
- Auto and Manual Focus
- Focus Mode
- Automatic, Direct Manual Focus
- Autofocus Points
Contrast Detection, Phase Detection: 759
Phase Detection: 627
- Autofocus Sensitivity
- -4 to +20 EV
- Built-In Flash/Light
- Maximum Sync Speed
- 1/160 Second
- Flash Compensation
- -3 to +3 EV (1/3, 1/2 EV Steps)
- External Flash Connection
- Shoe Mount
- Operating Temperature
- 32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C
- Battery Type
- 1 x NP-FZ100 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion (Approx. 530 Shots)
- Shoe Mount
- 1 x Intelligent Hot Shoe
- Tripod Mounting Thread
- 1 x 1/4"-20 Female (Bottom)
- Material of Construction
- Magnesium Alloy
- Dimension (W x H x D)
- 4.9 x 2.8 x 2.5" / 124 x 71.1 x 63.4 mm
1.1 lb / 514 g (With Battery, Recording Media)
15.1 oz / 429 g (Body Only)