*This item is Special Order Only, and subject to availability. Full payment is required in advance. There are no cancellations, returns or refunds on special order items. This item is on backorder, and we do not currently know when we will receive a new shipment. Call us at 512-467-7676 if you need additional information.*
Sony PXW-FX9 XDCAM 6K Full-Frame Camera Body
Realize beautiful 4K imagery with the creative freedom made possible by oversampling a huge high resolution full-frame sensor. Capture every detail from the scene with shallow depth of field and stunning bokeh for a truly cinematic look. 15+ stops of dynamic range and Dual Base ISO enable you to capture every nuance, from subtle shadow detail to specular highlights, with an immaculate color palette.
Capturing the impossible
Make sure your story's always clear with enhanced Fast Hybrid AF that tracks your subject with unprecedented speed, smoothness and precision. Its impact is transformative for premium documentary, commercial and event applications.
Shoot in comfort, expand your horizons
The FX9 revolutionizes full-frame cinematography with peerless ergonomics and advanced technology for on-the-go shooting. The world's first full-frame electronic variable ND filter transforms possibilities for shooting in variable lighting conditions. Built-in Wi-Fi and 12G-SDI support advanced workflows while the optional XDCA-FX9 extension unit further expands the operational possibilities of the PXW-FX9.
6K Full-Frame "Exmor R" sensor for stunning picture quality
The camera's full-frame 6K sensor provides superb recording in DCI 4K Ultra HD and HD resolutions. Powerful image processing with debayering and oversampling ensures image quality beyond the limits of conventional Super 35 mm sensors. The back-illuminated CMOS image sensor also uses Sony's Exmor R technology for improved sensitivity and noise reduction. Compared to a 4K Super 35 mm sensor, the FX9's 6K sensor has over twice the surface area while providing a wider angle of view and shallower depth of field.
Phenomenal 15+ stops dynamic range for limitless expression
The FX9 offers an exceptional 15+ stops of dynamic range—beyond the normal range of human perception—allowing for unprecedented creative freedom in color grading and post. Camera operators can concentrate on framing the scene they want while relying upon the FX9 to capture every nuance and detail using either 4K 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording or 16-bit RAW external recording. In grading, colorists can find color and detail beyond the normal viewing abilities of the camera operator to create a final image that exactly portrays the mood of the scene.
Dual Base ISO for stunning images in any light
The FX9 features a base sensitivity of ISO 800, providing the optimal dynamic range for typical documentary applications such as shooting outside or in brightly lit interiors. A secondary High Base sensitivity of ISO 4000 excels in low-light conditions such as early morning and evening shoots while maintaining superb image quality. ISO 4000 is also ideal when using slow lenses. Combining Dual Base ISO with the camera's electronic variable ND Filter provides superb creative control in almost any shooting environment, with truly next-generation responsiveness to changing conditions.
Cinematic color science with S-Cinetone
S-Cinetone is the default look of FX9 that's tuned to meet the requirements of today's content creators with rich mid-range colors, alluring facial tones and a softer tonal look—developed with the same expertise as Sony's world-leading VENICE digital cinematography camera. S-Cinetone means your content looks fresh and vivid straight out of the camera, with subjects that really stand out while retaining plenty of latitude in post-production thanks to the high-performance full-frame image sensor.
Selectable Frame Rates in Both Full-Frame & Super 35
Choose your desired frame-rate from 1fps up to 180fps* for impressive quick and slow motion footage. FX9 creates an immersive image with a wide-angle look and shallower depth of field provided by its full-frame sensor in combination with quick and slow motion. Engage your audience with this new creative look. FX9 also offers a Quality priority setting that maximizes full HD slow motion image quality with advanced oversampling technology.
Capture the action with enhanced Fast Hybrid AF
Effortlessly track fast-moving subjects with pin-sharp focus, even when using wide-lens aperture settings to maintain a shallow depth of field with the camera's full-frame sensor. Developed by Sony's α camera engineers, enhanced Fast Hybrid AF combines phase detection AF for fast, accurate subject tracking with contrast AF for exceptional focus accuracy. In addition, Face Detection intelligently recognizes and locks on to human faces.
The dedicated 561-point phase detection AF sensor covers approximately 94% of the whole image area width and 96% of height, allowing consistently accurate, responsive AF tracking, even with fast-moving subjects.
Customizable AF settings
The FX9's comprehensive autofocus settings provide the creative flexibility to integrate with any project.
7-level AF transition speeds from Fast—switching between subjects as quickly as possible—to Slow, where speed is reduced to fit a more measured shooting style, such as a historical TV drama.
5-level AF subject-shift sensitivity ranges from Locked-on—ignoring other moving subjects in the frame—to Responsive, which switches focus from one subject to another, ideal for snapping between race cars as they speed by.
Autofocus with all E-mount lenses
Experience smooth, responsive autofocus with every E-mount lens, including Sony's new Cinema Lens Series, with premium optical performance and operability for demanding cinematography applications. Advanced E-mount lever lock operation allows quick, easy lens exchange in the field, plus added stability and security with large lenses.
The world's first electronic variable ND filter for full-frame sensors
Realize even greater creative control with Sony's unique built-in electronic variable neutral density (ND) filter—a world first* for professional full-frame camcorders. Set to Auto, or adjust filter density manually in smooth increments from 1/4 to 1/128 as you shoot, for perfectly exposed images without affecting depth of field as lighting conditions change. Use higher-density settings with a slower shutter speed for breathtaking artistic effects.
Proven ergonomics & accessory compatibility
FX9 chassis is the latest refinement of the revolutionary FS7 design, so you can be sure it will feel great to shoot with from almost any position, while also offering compatibility with a large proportion of the countless FS7 accessories, including U-series batteries, chargers, E-mount lenses, plus arms and lens adapters.
The control arm is easily adjusted without tools, so FX9 adapts effortlessly to your physique and preferred shooting style—handheld, at waist level or shoulder-mounted.
The smart grip features an updated design, more compact than before while still holding all the key shooting controls, allowing you to concentrate on the scene without distractions. The FX9 also introduces a micro USB interface for improved responsiveness and support for a wrist strap.
16-bit RAW capability
16-bit RAW offers a phenomenal increase in post-production creative freedom to fully exploit FX9's exceptional 15+ stops of dynamic range. FX9 supports export of 16-bit RAW at either 4K or 2K resolution using the optional XDCA-FX9 extension unit with a single BNC cable connection to compatible external RAW recorders.
Stable, shake-free handheld footage
Advanced image stabilization information means even handheld footage can be transformed with Sony Catalyst Browse/Catalyst Prepare software in post-production to look as smooth as if it were shot with a gimbal. Unlike in-camera or lens stabilization, metadata generated by FX9's built-in gyro allows you to creatively choose the balance between the level of shake-compensation and the resolution of trimmed 4K imagery. This feature is also compatible with any E-mount lens and allows for far faster processing than conventional NLE stabilization workflows.
Beautifully matched shooting partners
Optimized for professional cinematography applications, the light and compact SELP28135G-powered zoom lens is an ideal complement for the full-frame imaging possibilities of the FX9.
- Circular aperture with full-frame image circle format
- Motorized servo zoom for smooth, precise zoom moves
- Three independent rings for focus, zoom and iris with smooth, silent drive
You have the choice of purchasing the FX9 on its own (PXW-FX9) or with the SELP28135G lens (PXW-FX9K).
Networked for high mobility
The FX9 features internal 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi capability as standard. Just switch on and log onto your preferred network to enable a host of advanced wireless production features:
- Content Browser Mobile** allows the PXW-FX9 to be controlled remotely from a smartphone or tablet computer via a Wi-Fi connection. Adjust the exposure level, zoom, Record/Stop and more via your mobile device—it's ideal for single-operator shoots. One-touch authentication is also possible with smartphones offering NFC connectivity.
- FTP Transfer allows content files to be sent over the Internet for remote storage on an FTP server even while shooting. In the case of signal interruption, the system will automatically resume as soon as connection is restored.
- Trimming allows you to set start and end points in a clip, eliminating time-wasting transfers of unneeded content.
- XDCAM air can upload proxy footage to the cloud from multiple camera operators in the field, so editing can start immediately. Uploaded content can be accessed securely from any location. News teams can even start logging clips while shooting is still going on, saving even more valuable time when a story is breaking.
- A wired LAN port with the optional XDCA-FX9 allows the FX9 to connect to the Internet with a standard Ethernet cable, enabling files to be streamed or transferred by FTP.
- Dual Link Cellular is enabled with the optional XDCA-FX9 and uses two cellular networks in combination to provide an even more reliable network connection. The FX9 is compatible with standard USB cellular dongles from most networks. (Please check for the most appropriate service provider for your region. Standard network fees will apply.)
- High quality Sony QoS Streaming to Network RX Station (optional) and XDCAM air by Sony allows images to be streamed live for viewing at a remote location
- 6K Full-Frame Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- 15 Stops of Dynamic Range
- UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) up to 59.94p
- HD Recording up to 120 fps
- Sony E-Mount
- 10-Bit 4:2:2 XAVC-I up to 600 Mb/s
- Auto-HD and 7-Stop ND Filter
- Dual Base ISO of 800/4000
- Dual XQD Memory Card Slots
- 12G/3G-SDI & HDMI Output
- IMAGE SENSOR
- Image Sensor Size:
- 35.7 x 18.8 mm (Full-Frame)
- Sensor Type:
- Sensor Resolution:
- Effective: 3840 x 2160
- 800 to 4000 (Native)
- -3 to 18 dB
- Advertised Dynamic Range:
- 15 Stops
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio:
- 57 dB
- Lens Mount:
- Sony E-Mount
- Shutter Speed:
- 1/1 to 1/8000 sec
- Built-In ND Filter:
- 4 to 128 Stop Electronic ND Filter
- Built-In Microphone Type:
- Recording Media:
- 2 x XQD Card Slots
- 1 x SDXC/Memory Stick PRO Duo Hybrid Card Slot
- RECORDING MODES
- XAVC-I 4:2:2 10-Bit:
- 3840 x 2160p at 23.98/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps (240 to 600 Mb/s)
- 1920 x 1080p at 23.98/25/29.97/50/59.94/100/120 fps (89 to 222 Mb/s)
- 1920 x 1080i at 50/59.94 fps (112 Mb/s)
- XAVC-L 4:2:2 10-Bit:
- 3840 x 2160p at 23.98/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps (100 to 150 Mb/s)
- 1920 x 1080p at 25/29.97/50/59.94/100/120 fps (25 to 50 Mb/s)
- 1920 x 1080i at 50/59.94 fps (50 Mb/s)
- MPEG HD422 4:2:2 10-Bit:
- 1920 x 1080p at 23.98/25/29.97 fps (50 Mb/s)
- 1920 x 1080i at 25/50/59.94 fps (50 Mb/s)
- XAVC Proxy 4:2:0 10-Bit:
- 1920 x 1080p (9 Mb/s)
- 1280 x 720p (6 to 9 Mb/s)
- 640 x 360p (3 Mb/s)
- INTERNAL RECORDING
- Gamma Curve:
- Sony S-Log 3
- Audio Recording:
- XAVC: 4-Channel 24-Bit 48 kHz LPCM Audio
- Proxy: 2-Channel AAC Audio
- Video Connectors:
- 1 x BNC (12G-SDI) Output
- 1 x BNC (3G-SDI) Output
- 1 x HDMI (HDMI 2.0) Output
- Audio Connectors:
- 2 x 3-Pin XLR Mic/Line Level (+48 V Phantom Power) Input
- 1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm Stereo Headphone Output
- Other I/O:
- 1 x BNC Genlock Data Input
- 1 x BNC Timecode Data Input/Output
- 1 x 2.5 mm LANC Control
- 1 x USB Micro-B USB 3.1 Gen 1 Data
- Wireless Interfaces:
- 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz Wi-Fi
- EVF Display Type:
- Screen Size:
- EVF Resolution:
- 2,760,000 Dots
- Battery Type:
- Sony BP-U Series
- Power Connectors:
- 1 x Barrel (19.5 VDC) Input
- Power Consumption:
- 35.2 W
- Operating Temperature:
- 32 to 104Â°F
- Storage Temperature:
- -4 to 140Â°F
- Accessory Mount:
- 1 x Multi-Interface Shoe
- 1 x 1/4"-20 Female
- 5.75 x 5.61 x 9.02"
- 4.4 lb